About the project in English
Verifying the effectiveness of an Early intervention O.T.A. for children with positive screening in the M-CHAT-R.
Methodology of early intervention O.T.A. began to emerge in 2010. In the years 2012-2016, the first research of the effectiveness of this method took place at the Faculty of Education of Charles University. After publishing the results, the method was further used and developed and the results were still very encouraging.
The project aims to verify or refute the repeatability of the results by using other therapists, also outside of C) T) A), so that the method can be used by other professionals and help reduce the impact of incipient disease on further development of children.
Who is the project for?
- For families of children who have shown high positivity in the M-CHAT-R or M-CHAT-R/F test and want to get:
- care from top-class clinical speech
therapist, doctor care - leading expert in child
- psychiatry and four-day therapeutic stay of the child and the whole family system including ADOS-2 testing (gold standard tool) by an experienced diagnostician.
- or they want to work exclusively with the O.T.A. (parent training to work with a child)
PROJECT TERMS AND CONDITIONS:
- High-risk of ASD (M-CHAT-R or /F ≥7).
- Children in the age of 18-36 months in entry into intervention.
- Capacity is limited to project criteria. After completing the number of 100 children and their families, recruitment will end.
The first families enter the project in February 2019, the last in autumn 2019.
2019-2021 Family and child are in the care of a child psychiatrist, clinical speech therapist and early care or Early Intervention O.T.A.
2021-2022 Project evaluation and publication of research results.
Characteristics of a child with positive screening in M-CHAT-R or M-CHAT-R/F.
- In the case of a positive screening in the M-CHAT-R or M-CHAT-R/F questionnaire, it is very likely that it may be a childhood developmental disorder, some neurodevelopmental disorder.
- These disorders may, in isolated cases, gradually disappear and no longer affect the development of the child. However, in most cases, the parent needs professional assistance to stimulate the child's skills necessary for his / her healthy development. Because normal, intuitive upbringing is not enough in this case.
- Neurodevelopmental disorders also include autism spectrum disorders. On the contrary, the development with the age of the child deviates from the healthy development more clearly, is uneven and the symptom is deepening. It cannot be cured, but it can be successfully influenced by the influence of the external environment - educational procedures - to modify the manifestations.
- However, at an early age, a well-targeted intervention can stimulate the skills that belong to a healthy child's development and force the brain to "rewrite" its original settings (epigenetics), strengthen the child's healthy development, and optimally achieve full integration and healthy development.
Early intervention O.T.A.
High intensity of therapeutic action is needed to stimulate healthy reactivity in a vulnerable child. It cannot be achieved outside the child's family. Therefore, O.T.A. - like Vojta's method - aimed at training parents who become the child's main therapists.
The intervention is not aimed at working with and training the child, but at optimizing the child's external environment through primary educators. The aim is to stimulate a child's healthy development. By its very nature, O.T.A. is suitable for the positive development of every child, based on healthy development.
Conditions of Success Early Intervention O.T.A.
- A parent fully engaged in therapeutic work, willing to train his / her own educational skills to achieve a positive change in child development.
- The parent should be able to minimize his or her child's demands at the beginning, and then gradually increase them and demand their fulfilment without damaging the child's regret.
- Fulfilment of the intervention plan, which looks simple, but in practice initially entails a demanding work and an effort to change mainly on the part of us educators (the work of parents is quite demanding and the first unchangeable successes come in months).
- Measure and record the behaviour into the recording sheet according to an updated intervention plan.
- The early intervention O.T.A. showed worse results in children who worked not only under the guidance of their parents but also under the regular activity of a specialist therapist. Better results are repeatedly reported by children who are only therapeutically guided by their parents under the supervision of a therapist and the child's therapy is added at a maximum of 4-5 hours over two years.
Who is involved in the project
Early intervention O.T.A. is provided by O.T.A. and VTI therapist in Center of Autism Therapy.
Video trainers trained in O.T.A. Outside the Center of Autism Therapy.
Society for Primary Pediatric Care (OSPDL)
prof. MUDr. Ivo Paclt, CSc. - child and adolescent psychiatrist
MUDr. Ryšánková - child and adolescent psychiatrist and diagnostician (NAUTIS z.s., Canadian Medical, s.r.o.)
Private Clinic Logo, Brno (children's psychiatrist and clinical psychologist)
Mgr. Přemysl Mikoláš - psychologist and psychotherapist
Mgr. Anna Vozková - psychologist
Mgr. Martin Nekola, Ph.D., Mgr. Markéte Nekolová - evaluation.
The project is run by the Autism Therapy Center.
Brief description of the research design
The project will include 100 children and their families, children with positive screening in M-CHAT-R/F.
At the beginning of the project, the child psychiatrist will examine the children with the ADOS-2 scale, and this test will be repeated after two years. The results of the intervention group will be compared with the results of the control group.
Families will be evaluated by a questionnaire which measures parental satisfaction and stress at the beginning and end of the project. The parent's questionnaire will be evaluated.